top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning to file, but really concerned about the future...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rkg2004 View Post
    Hi, thanks for all the info. I guess I should clarify that I wouldn't be looking for a federal job or in the financial sector. I'm in the beginning stages of a career in clinical research in the pharmaceutical field. The only way that bk would directly impact my job is that I couldn't get an Amex for travel. There's a lot of people out of work even in this field so they can really pick and choose right now, which is why I'm kind of worried. But I'm accepting it more everyday, and our credit counselor said we should just deal with it directly in an interview, and not apologize to anyone. I liked that, I think it's good advice.
    I agree with your counselor. I brought it up at the final stages of my interview process, when asked if I had any red flags they should know about in advance (because they would come out in the background and credit checks). I brought it up casually and business like. Offered a little bit of background info, just enough to let them know it was not brought on due to questionable or less than honorable behavior on our part. They can not ask for background info, I offered. Everything got taken into account. I made my manager realize that BK is a business decision, which kind of shocked her a bit. Good shock.

Good luck.
    Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
    AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

The odd thing is that the original rationale behind using credit information for hiring decisions in finance, banking, and security was: debts make you vulnerable. You could feel pressured into improper behavior. You might actually BE pressured into improper behavior.

And yet bankruptcy frees you from that vulnerability, so you're actually a pretty safe bet!
      Filed non-consumer no asset Chapter 7 on 7-12-10 after 4 foreclosures, 7 lawsuits including 2 deficiencies, 2 wage garnishments, a bank garnishment and a partridge in a pear tree. 341 held on 8-11-10. Discharge 11-4-10.

Comment

Well, there is a thought you can keep in mind if you find you need a company credit card. Many federal agency employees would not get approved for a $5000 limit US government credit card based on their personal credit, yet they have them. The reason they have them is that the government basically cosigns for them. When an employee makes a late payment or fails to pay the debt on their travel card after a trip, the derogatory info can land on their credit report but they will be hounded by the agency and maybe terminated because the agency is at least partially liable. I’m sure the same situation exists in private industry. If your employer tells you “you need a travel credit card” then perhaps it will be a business decision to secure a card for you backed by the company. I guess it would depend on a company’s practices and how bad they want you to have a card. Of course having this knowledge is of little practical use, but it may make an employee feel a little more confident if they have the knowledge to discuss such issues if the occasion arises.

Comment

Originally posted by kartoons19 View Post
          Thanks Joe. I would appreciate hearing what the checks include, so I look forward to your post.
          As promised, I created a separate thread.

Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
          AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X